Jan 1st Update

I've added in custom key binding in the pause screen. It is via a very rudimentary place holder that doesn't look too good, but it works, and it'll be useful for the demo. There's no checking to see if two actions share the same key yet, so the user is going to have to be careful. The gui will be easy to replace later with actual assets and I wrote it so adding a new button is a simple one line function call. I'm still thinking about what to add to the gauntlet weapon that'll make it more unique and also helpful. Eventually the crappy hp bar will be replaced too.

Also threw together a toon shader, mainly focusing on faces first. It's extremely simple, relying on a gradient texture and the usual normal dot light calculation, the lighting color is factored into the calculation, but multiple lights do not stack in intensity since this would result in a lot of weird looking transitions. The plan is to use a custom gradient texture, based on each materials/environments needs. Doing this also allows me to adjust how soft or hard the transitions are. There's also the option of using an actual image to sample colors from but I don't think it'll be necessary for everything. There's some pre made toon shaders for Godot, but I found it a good learning exercise to go through and understand how to make one myself - its also easier to understand how to use it.

Still held up on skybox experimentation, but I need models for the swamp scene anyways, so I've been working on a water lily model, and some lily pads. Also trying to rework the slash hit particle. Going to repurpose the long grasses for the swamp and see how that works and I'll have to look into some more vegetation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Post

March 17 update

July 16 Update