June 30 Update


I finally got the chance to really dig into Godot/Blender shaders, and redid the sword slash and water. The water's still missing depth fade, reflection and some scattered foam, but I think its a good start. Initially in Blender I used a moving voronoi texture, but I realized that baking a series of spritesheets for water was insane and not a good idea. So I figured out a solution that gives an approximate version of what I want using godot visual shader and textures. My system is fairly old and the gpu is a lower end oem one, but I didn't notice any frame drops that weren't already there, so I don't think it impacts performance too much. I still have to bake lightmaps for everything so the real time lighting is probably causing most frame drops.

For the sword slash that was a valid choice (because its a relatively small texture and does not loop) and thats what I did, made the shader in Blender, then baked out a series of spritesheets for it, so there's no actual calculations done in Godot. I had to modify the original mesh spatial shader because there was a weird limitation on it that only allowed animated particles with billboard particles. There's no randomness, but godot has a lot of limitations in its particle system and it was just easier to handle with animated sprites. Also I'm not sure, but using a spritesheet might also be better for lower end systems. I want the dissolve effect on the sword slash to be a bit more intense so I might revisit it later on. Still, its more interesting than the old one.

Sera is now incredibly annoying and hard to hit, so that gives me a few ideas for what Rhys needs to actually fight her, so I'll be implementing some attacks that will actually give the player a chance to beat her. That one hit that Rhys lands in the video is only because she was invincible, otherwise Sera's counterattack charge flinches her before she can hit. I implemented a projectile system, so Rhys will be able to use that as well. After that I'll really start polishing the animations which are very janky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Post

March 17 update

July 16 Update